After my bike was stolen at the start of the biking season, I decided the best thing to do would be to buy a cheap and crappy looking bike that nobody would want to steal. It’s sad that I have to choose that option but I didn’t see any other way.
So, while on vacation I walked down to Recycle Bicycle and asked them to sell me a cheap bike. I came out with a Raleigh “Tarantula” which, although boasting a very cool name, looks like crap. Perfect. The brakes needed a little adjusting (the back one is still almost useless without some help from the front) and the seat was loose but other than that the ride is good.
I started riding to work again last week, and I’m loving it. I get to work faster than if I take public transport and the ride to work is about 80% downhill. Of course that means the ride home is mostly uphill which kills me but at least I can collapse in a sweaty heap on the sofa when I get home.
There are things I had forgotten about cycling though:
- Having long laces on your shoes is a bad thing.
- Having flappy trouser legs is too.
- Bike seats are never comfortable.
- Taxi drivers will do all they can to knock you off the road.
- I still don’t understand bike gears.
- Stopping at red lights is always optional (yes, I’m an evil lawbreaker and I just don’t care.)
- Did I mention it’s faster (and cheaper) than public transport?